Because mosquitoes are attracted to water, make sure all the water you have around your yard is changed often – like birdbaths, kiddie pools, and your pet’s water bowl. Even plants in pots can attract mosquitoes, so make sure you have good drainage.
Get rid of anything in your yard that has the potential to collect water.
There are organic ways to control mosquitoes – here are a few that I recommend.
- Instant coffee or mineral oil – sprinkle either of these on standing water to trap
- BTI – put discs on standing water
- Basil leaves – blend 1½ cups with one quart of water. Strain. Use this to spray in a roomwith mosquitoes
- Garlic – Finely crushed garlic, mix with water and strain. Use this in a spray bottle
- Native cedar (finely ground)
Here’s a list of plants to plant around your home to repel mosquitoes.
- Bachelor’s Button
Electric zappers are not recommended because they will kill more beneficial insects than
Arbico-organics.com has a wide variety of safe, effective controls for adults, children and
Adding compost to my garden frequently, along with foliar feeding my entire garden every six
weeks with Extreme Juice is how I got the results you see at my Channel 3 garden – and how I’ve been so successful growing just about anything I’ve ever tried to grow.